Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Thrill is Gone...

All it took was one day to leave a sour taste in my mouth. I had pics all ready to talk about my neighbor's museum in this blog and send you faithful readers there when it was open and ready to show that the mainland wasn't full o' blight, but I came to my little parcel last night to this...wtf? I had called myself being "neighborly" by creating something on that ugly sheer cliff face that I thought would fit the aesthetics of my place, as well as his. It seems my neighbor had some folks by to see his place and deemed my wall and sketch below as not fitting in with his "vision" of the museum as he felt it "read" as being part of it...
Now, I am not a difficult neighbor. I have never complained or lost my mind on one before. I am also not unreasonable enough to recognize that okay, I can understand his POV. This isn't a privately-owned sim, so technically I can put whatever the hell I want on my lot, but I was being nice. I support and am a patron of the SL arts in addition to being an artist myself, but...I felt, how does this bode for my original purpose of the land--one that I told this neighbor my intentions for? If I put my own sculpture and art or those of friends there--as originally planned--will I come back to ugly huge high walls everywhere next because it conflicts with his "vision"? Hmph. I had one too. Still do. Maybe I should've put gaudy rotating cubes, pink ponies and floppy dongs there instead?

4 comments:

Peter Stindberg said...

Mainland sucks. I'm sorry, but it sucks. I spend as little as possible time on mainlad because - well - it sucks. It's usually extremely laggy, and my eyes get sore after a few minutes.

I complement you for having a vision, for trying to prove mainland haters like me wrong. But as long as an estate does not get managed, as long as there is no overall theme that gets in a way enforced, you will always again have something like this.

Thanks for trying, sorry for failing.

Eladrienne Laval said...

Yes, "insane" was the word my friend used when I told him of the plan.

I suppose to me, it was because it seemed like his museum would be a nice project that I got the land there and that something like my wall would be accepted.

Only a misguided attempt at ground level. I moved everything to a beautiful skyplat. Screw ground level! I'll let you all know when it's finished and how it all turns out. I might be surprised...

Edward Pearse said...

I agree with you entirely about not letting land be carved up into little 3 metre square blocks. It's been shown time and again that it becomes extortion.

Congrats on the purchase of mainland land, sorry to hear you've already had neighbour issues. It is sadly the way of the mainland.

TotalLunar Eclipse said...

*pats her hand gently

For the little while everything was placed it was lovely. You did your best but you cannot fault him for bad taste... well yes you can.