Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Butterflies and Storms

So I am sitting here at my home, having read the latest Linden openspace announcement earlier. It is very important that you read the Knowledge Base info accompanying it as that is more detailed...In a nutshell, they are creating a pricing tier system that splits OS sims into "openspace" and "Homesteads". OS sims are to be light-use, 750 prims, with a cap of 10 AVs. Owners can put in for their OS sims to be Homesteads for light commercial and residential use, 3750 prims and a 20 AV cap. For both, script usage restrictions are as of yet TBD. Thing is with Homesteads is that the pricing goes from $75USD to $95 as of Jan 5, but as of July 9, it'll go up to $125--the price originally proposed in the last posting that set off the furor. Owners also have the option of exchanging openspaces for full regions as well, an option being entertained by some communities.

My home here "might" upgrade to Homestead, we'll see, but what does this mean for communities like the sailing community and themed ones like Caledon? They can't hold larger community-based events such as dances or balls or regattas or races. Even the train that runs through most of Caledon would be affected due to its scripts. I still wonder what the longer-term effect of this will be across the Grid. Are we to be happy with this? Is this really okay? I don't know...take this and add to the fact that M Linden's declared premium members like me (yeah, I know, I keep considering a downgrade) as "immaterial" and this steampunk kitty's still feeling a little leery right now...

1 comment:

Michael Röhm said...

This entire debacle sickens me. I, too, worry a lot about what will happen with Caledon and other large-scale themed sims (Babbage, Antiquity, Winterfell). LL really fucked themselves over this time.