Alright, so a pic of me faceplanted on the ground is exaggerating a bit (maybe), but I think that a lot of folks like me who are members of groups with very active group chats can understand my pain...
I've joked in the past that having certain group chats open are like having a running crazy voice that just won't STFU. At least now when I close it, it'll stay closed. I don't know if it's a carryover for some from the old chat room days or what, but I've noticed the following trends in my almost 2 years in here:
1. Do you really think hundreds of folks want that window opening just to hear you to say the following? "Hello/Goodbye/Good morning or night [insert group name here]" after it has been mercifully quiet?
2. Want to consider yourself "calling out" someone's behavior or drama on the main chat? Keep your personal dramas and scandals to you and yours. Go one on one or among yourselves with them. That's what personal IM is for. I...don't...care and I can't be the only one!
3. When I had CoLA's group chat, the really risque sex talk seemed appropriate somehow, given what the sims' theme is. Sure, we're all supposedly adults here, but reading the same kind of things in a main chat like 19th c. Caledon's for instance, just feels, well--not.
4. I don't want to read your land sale or party/club spam that you're sending out over a residential land management group chat when you are not the management.
5. Chathogs, you know who you are, and if you don't--trust me, the rest of us do. I find myself clicking chat closed almost automatically now, especially when certain repeat offenders start chattering away. Shouldn't it be a clue to you when either you or only your other few chathogs are the main ones talking? It's like they discovered a spotlight on a stage and were like "Whoa! The spotlight's on me...perform!"
Yeah, I know, I know...it's about community! Connecting with our fellow citizens! Just go ahead and close it, right? Well, in one group chat, the community's leader tends to make big announcements and such within it sometimes *groans*. I've also found that sometimes a good answer to a tech or general question can be answered. But that's what they are supposed to be used for, aren't they? (I think group notices should be used sparingly for need-to-know info as well.)
Sorry about the ranting--which I rarely do, but damn, I can't be the only one who feels like this.
New World Notes' Memorial Day Weekend Open Forum
23 hours ago